Making good French press at home is easy, plus you get to be the one with attitude instead of some random barista.
- A food scale. We’re partial to OXO’s pull-out model.
- Preferably a water boiler. Again, we enjoy OXO’s offering.
- Preferably a coffee grinder – Virtuoso+ is our pick – though you can obviously grind the beans at the store.
- A French press. We use a 34 oz Bodum.
- Heat water to 200° F.
- Place French press on the scale and zero it out.
- Grind 55 grams of beans coarsely. That’s setting 28 on the Virtuoso grinder.
- Add grounds to the French press, and pour just enough water to cover the coffee. The total should be 110 grams.
- Give it a quick stir and wait 30 seconds.
- Pour water into the press until the total reaches 880 grams.
- Slowly press the plunger down about halfway.
- Wait 3 minutes.
- Press gently down, just until the plunger hits bottom.
Enjoy alongside a slice of apple cake.
Light coffee is the most flavorful coffee. This time, we used DOMA’s Columbia variant.