Rømmegrøt is a Norwegian-style porridge, traditionally served during the winter months, particularly around Christmas. It has a sour cream base, and it is very, very hearty. Submitted for your approval:
- 2 cups sour cream
- ½ cup + ⅓ cup flour
- 1 ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- Cinnamon, sugar, and butter for topping
- Boil sour cream in a medium pot for about 5 minutes.
- Strain the first ½ cup of flour into pot. Stir vigorously.
- Reduce heat to low, and let simmer until butter starts forming on the surface. Spoon it off into a separate container.
- Stir in the final ⅓ cup flour, again vigorously. You want a smooth consistency.
- Gradually and slowly stir in milk and cream.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes, then stir in salt.
Serve in a bowl, topped with cinnamon and sugar. Some like to drizzle butter from the sour cream over the porridge; I, as any self-respecting Norwegian, prefer to cut a piece of butter and let it melt in the center.
Heartiness and thickness can be controlled by adjusting the milk/cream ratio.